2011-IVAP local guide
Time to get working!
Open the document Local Guide 2011, and carry out the following tasks:
- Look at the classification of the powers of local councils. What do you think is the most important thing? (page 174))
- Analyse the municipalities' own powers. Which are the five most important? (page 176)
- What powers overlap with the powers of other tiers of government? (page 178)
- Go to the page on Minimum Mandatory Services (page 180), and answer the following questions:
- What are the services all municipalities should provide?
- What other services are municipalities with a population of over 5,000 required to provide?
- What other services do municipalities with over 20,000 inhabitants have to provide?
- What other services do those with a population of over 50,000 have to provide?
- Considering the population of your town, does your municipality fulfil the minimum services set in the Local Guide 2011?
- Go to the page on trans-municipal bodies (page 184), and answer the following questions:
- Why are trans-municipal bodies formed?
- What are they? Give some examples.
- Now go to the page on economic resources of local government (page 546), and answer the following questions:
- What financial resources are mentioned?
- From your perspective, which resources contribute most to town councils?
- Is there any information on your town council's website relating to those financial resources listed? Which ones are mentioned?
- If there is not enough information on your town hall's website, you can go there in person and ask for information on what interests you.
… And finally, a few questions to consider: what would happen if there weren't enough money to provide all the services offered by the Provincial Government of Gipuzkoa? What can and should we do to have those services?